Fixed Wing Summer Flight Program
The private pilot summer program at Utah State University is a fun way to spend your summer earning your Fixed Wing Private Pilot license. The program is designed for continuing USU students and new USU Aviation students. Along with completing the private pilot license in only nine weeks, students will complete seven university credits required for the Aviation Technology – Professional Pilot degree program. This summer program is an excellent opportunity to kick start flight training!
- AV 2330 Private Pilot Ground School (4 credits)—Monday-Friday 2:30-4:30 pm at the USU Logan Campus
- AV 2350 Private Pilot Certification (3 credits)— Monday-Friday, 7-11 am at the Logan-Cache Airport
- Admitted as a degree-seeking student to Utah State University (Aviation Technology – Professional Pilot Fixed Wing)
- 17 years of age by program completion date
- Read, speak, write and understand the English language
- Have original Birth Certification and U.S. government issue identification OR current passport
- June 8 – August 7, 2020
|Housing**||$670-900 (depending on shared or private room)|
|Supplies**||$500 (depending on book kit and headset)|
*No non-resident tuition is charged during summer semester. International tuition is charged during summer semester.
**Cost is subject to change without notice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is there a waitlist for the summer program this year?
- No. We are allowing students to register first-come, first-served with no pre-registration. The limited seats in the program will fill quickly.
- When do I need to start my FAA Medical?
- No later than March. We require that summer program students have their medical in hand by the first day of class. If you do not, you will be dropped from the courses.
- What medical certificate should I get?
- We recommend you get a first class medical. Although you only need a third class medical to be a student pilot, we recommend getting a first class just so you know you can get it; most jobs will require a first class medical.
- How flexible is the contact time for the program?
- It is not. Students must commit to flying during the 9-11 flight block Monday-Friday. Planes are reserved for summer program students. Attendance in ground school is also mandatory.
- What if I have a vacation planned during the program?
- Don’t. Plan to spend these nine weeks in Logan attending ground school and flying each day. If you miss days, it is unlikely you will complete your private by the end of the program.
- Can I complete the summer flight program flying helicopters?
- While rotorcraft classes are available during summer, they cannot be done in this nine week program. Please contact an advisor for more information about the rotorcraft classes and how to register.
Kaylee Roholt Academic Advisor firstname.lastname@example.org